H2 /N2 Mixture Plasma, AISI 1045, X-ray diffraction spectra, scanning electron microscope (SEM).
||August 07, 2017
||The Author(s) 2017. This article is published with open access at www.chitkara.edu. in/publications
In the present work, we analyzed the effect of the plasma treatment of 80% H2/20% N2 mixture plasma over the AISI 1045 steel. To produce the plasma, an AC discharge of 0.1 A at 350 V was produced at a total pressure of 3.0 Torr. The mixture plasma was analyzed using optical emission spectroscopy (OES), in the wavelength range of 200 to 1100 nm. The principal species observed in the plasma were NH, N2, N2 + , H2, and Hα. The electron temperature and ion density have been measured using a double Langmuir probe. The samples of steel were treated by plasma at different discharge times, between 3 and 12 h, at the same pressure and AC parameters (0.1 A and 350 V). The treated samples were characterized using X-ray analysis, finding the phases gamma and epsilon of iron nitride. The thickness of the nitrided layers was measured using a scanning electron microscope (SEM). From the images obtained, it is possible to appreciate the interphase between the nitrided layer and the steel matrix. The relationship between the morphology of the surface of nitrided steel and the wetting was analyzed by measuring the contact angle between the surface and a drop of 5 μL of distilled water. The contact angle of the drop increased with the increase of plasma treatment time. The control sample without treatment presented a smaller angle, and after the treatment the surfaces of the steel became hydrophobic. This may be related to the morphology change of the steel surface produced by plasma treatment.
- Borgioli F., Galvanetto E. & Bacci T. Influence on surface morphology and roughnesson water wetting properties of low temperature nitride austenitic stainless steel. Materialscharacterization (2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2014.07.006
- Charadia R., Regis M., Dalibon E. L. & Brühl S. P. Comportamiento al desgaste de un acero SAE 1045, templado por inducción posterior a la nitruración iónica. Películas Delgadas y tratamiento de superficies (2015).
- ] Frantz U. Basics of plasma spectroscopy. Plasma sources science and technology (2006).
- Günzel R., Betzl M., Alphonsa I., Ganguly B., John P. I & Mukherjee S. Plasmasource ion implantation compared with glow-discharge plasma nitriding of stainless steel. Surface & coatings technology112 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(98)00776-2
- Hakami F., Heydarzadeh S. &Rasizadeh Ghani J. Duplex surface treatment of AISI 1045 steel via plasma nitriding of chromized layer. Thin solid films 519 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2011.04.054
- Hirsch T., Clarke T. G. R. & da Silva Rocha A. An in-situ study of plasma nitriding. Surface & coatings technology201 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.12.005
- Kikuchi S., Fukuoka T., Sasaki T., Komotori J., Fukazawa K., Misaka Y. & Kawasaki K. (2013) Increasing Surface Hardness of AISI 1045 Steel by AIHFPP/ Plasma Nitriding Treatment. Materials Transactions, Vol. 54, No. 3. http://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.MBW201205
- Mahboubi F. & Fattah M. Duplex treatment of plasma nitriding and plasma oxidation of plain carbon steel. Vacuum 79 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2005.01.002
- Naka M., Kubo M., Okamoto I. Wettability of silicon nitride by aluminium, copper and silver. Journal of material science letters, (1987). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01729884?LI=true
- Rosales I., Martinez V. & Guardian R. Mechanical performance of thermally post-treated ion-nitrided steels. Applied surface science (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.03.048
- Villalobos S., Castillo F., Flores O., Reyes P. G., & Martinez H.Optical and electrical characterization of C3H6O/Ar glow discharge. Journal of physics (2015). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/591/1/012063
- Williams D., Kellar E., Jesson D. & Watts J. Surface analysis of 316 stainless steel treated with cold atmospheric plasma. Applied surface science (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.01.150
- Yuan Y. & Lee T. R. Contac angle and wetting properties. Springer Series in Surface Sciences 51, (2013). https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-34243-1_1